The exquisite church of Santa Maria dei Miracoli (1481-89), one of the jewels in the Venetian crown, was designed and built by sculptor-architect, Pietro Lombardo (c. 1435-1515), to house a miracle-working image of the Madonna and Child (1407) by Niccolo di Pietro Paradisi.
No expense was spared in the use of materials; both the exterior and the interior are clad with costly marble revetments.
Santa Maria dei Miracoli is made up of a single nave. The vault is adorned with fifty wooden panels, painted with the heads of prophets and saints, the work of Pier Maria Pennacchi (1528).
The chancel stands two and a half metres higher than the nave so as to give the congregation a clear view of the venerated image on the high altar.