Santa Maria degli Angeli, which was once part of an Augustinian nunnery, lies in a remote corner of Murano, well away from the tourist trail. The church was founded in 1188 by Giacomina Boncio and rebuilt between 1498 and 1529.
The high altar is an extremely extravagant affair and at is centre is a beautiful painting of the Annunciation (1537), the work of Giovanni Antonio de’ Sacchis, better known as Il Pordenone (c. 1484-1539).
There is another image of the Annunciation (early 16th century, artist unknown), a beautiful bas-relief above the door to the churchyard.
In his memoirs, Giacomo Casanova (1725-98), the self-styled Chevalier de Seingalt, recounts his amatory adventures with two of the nuns, CC (Caterina Capretta) and MM (Marina Morosini), who lived in the convent (later demolished) of Santa Maria degli Angeli.