The funerary monument of Pope Innocent VIII (r. 1484-92), which originally stood in the old Basilica di San Pietro, is by Antonio del Pollaiuolo (c. 1433-98), who completed it shortly before his death.
The monument is made up of two parts: an effigy of Innocent VIII lying on his tomb and an image of him seated on a throne. In the latter, the pope holds the metal tip of the lance that pierced the side of Christ, one of the many holy relics that the basilica houses.
According to the Gospel of St. John: "one of the soldiers with a spear pierced his side, and forthwith came there out blood and water." (19:34, KJV)
For centuries the relic of the Holy Lance was kept in Constantinople. However, in 1492, shortly before his death, Pope Innocent VIII received it as a gift from the Ottoman Sultan Bayezid II.
The Holy Lance is also known as the Lance of Longinus, the name given to the soldier, who, according to tradition, later converted to Christianity.