Pistoia, which lies about twenty-five miles to the north-west of Florence, was once known as the Città dei Pulpiti (City of Pulpits), and three of the four medieval pulpits which gave rise to the city's sobriquet still survive.
By far the most famous is the pulpit by Giovanni Pisano (c. 1250-c. 1315) in the church of Sant' Andrea, which was carved between 1298 and 1301. The pulpit, which is hexagonal in design, rests on seven slender porphyry columns, four of which are supported by lions, eagles and a crouching man. The five reliefs depict the Annunciation/Nativity, the Adoration of the Magi, the Massacre of the Innocents, the Crucifixion and the Last Judgement.
The pulpit in the church of San Bartolomeo in Pantano is attributed to Guido di Bonagiunta Bigarelli, better known as Guido da Como (c. 1220-1257), and dates back to the middle of the 13th century. The four reliefs depict Christ's Descent into Limbo, the Supper at Emmaus, Christ Resurrected Appears to his Disciples and the Incredulity of Saint Thomas.
The pulpit in the church of San Giovanni Fuorcivitas is by Guglielmo da Pisa and dates back to 1270.
Search Pictures From Italy: