In the centre of Piazza Barberini sits one of the most delightful fountains in Rome.
The Fontana del Tritone (Fountain of Triton, 1642-3) was commissioned by Urban VIII (r. 1623-44), whose family pile, the Palazzo Barberini, sits a short distance away, and created by the pope's favourite sculptor, Gian Lorenzo Bernini (1598-1680).
Triton, son of Poseidon and Amphitrite (god and goddess of the sea), kneels on an upturned shell supported by four dolphins and blows water into the air through a conch.
Once upon a time, Bernini's mighty Triton sent a jet of water, three or so metres high, into the air. Nowadays, the messenger of the sea can manage little more than a metre!