The Fontana delle Naiadi (Fountain of the Naiads), which was completed in 1888, is one of the largest of Rome's fountains and sits in the centre of one of its busiest squares (Piazza della Repubblica).
In the centre of the fountain stands Glaucus, a fisherman who became a god of the sea. Clasping a dolphin, which spouts a powerful jet of water, he is surrounded by four naiads (water-nymphs, 1901), whose nudity and languorous poses caused a sensation when first unveiled. The sculptures are the work of Mario Rutelli (1859-1941).
In Greek mythology, naiads are the female spirits who preside over fountains, wells, springs, streams, brooks and other bodies of fresh water. Each naiad reclines on a different aquatic creature.