A few steps from the Spanish Steps stands the Antico Caffè Greco (Via dei Condotti, 86), which first opened its doors in 1760. This makes it the oldest coffee shop in Rome and the second oldest cafe in Italy. Only Caffe Florian in Venice is older (1720).
In the 19th century the Caffè Greco was the preferred meeting place for many of the non-Italian residents of Rome, being frequented by some of the brightest lights of the literary and musical worlds, Liszt, Strauss, Mark Twain, Gogol, Hans Christian Andersen, Baudelaire, Berlioz, Mendelssohn, Stendhal, Wagner, to name but a few!
In 1953 the Antico Caffè Greco was granted the status of a national monument.