Between 1826 and 1830 the Florentine architect Gaetano Baccani (1792-1867) knocked down several old buildings to the south of the duomo and, in their place, built the Palazzo dei Canonici for the canons of the cathedral.
The central building was provided with a terrace, which is supported by four columns. The columns frame two niches in which were placed statues of two of the cathedral's architects, Arnolfo di Cambio (c.1232/40 - c.1302/10) and Filippo Brunelleschi (1377-1446).
The statues (1830) are the work of the Florentine sculptor Luigi Pampaloni (1791-1847). Arnolfo di Cambio looks across at the cathedral, which was begun in 1296 under his direction, while Filippo Brunelleschi stares up at his famous cupolone (grand cupola), which he built between 1420 and 1436.