Hidden away in the heart of Florence is the beautiful Tempietto del Santo Sepolcro (Little Temple of the Holy Sepulchre).
The Tempietto del Santo Sepolcro (1457-67), which stands in the ex-church of San Pancrazio (now home to the Museo Marino Marini), is a funerary monument, the work of that great all-rounder of the Renaissance, Leon Battista Alberti (1403-72). It was designed for Giovanni Rucellai, a member of a wealthy family of merchants, whose palazzo (also the work of Alberti) is located nearby.
The Tempietto, which recalls in its proportions the sanctuary of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, stands in the Cappella Rucellai, the only part of the church to remain a sacred space.
The interior of the tempietto, which contains the sarcophagus of Giovanni Rucellai, is decorated with frescoes by Giovanni da Piamonte, a pupil of Piero della Francesca.
Blogging about Florence: