Santa Maria del Fiore, the Cathedral of Florence, is the final resting place of Filippo Brunelleschi (1377-1446), the man who created its magnificent cupola, the largest masonry dome ever built.
The site of Brunelleschi's grave, which had been lost for centuries, was rediscovered in 1972 during excavation work on the church of Santa Reparata, Florence's first and much smaller cathedral.
The inscription on his tombstone reads: CORPUS MAGNI INGENII VIRI PHILIPPI BRUNELLESCHI FIORENTINI (The body of the man of great genius Filippo Brunelleschi Florentine).
Apart from Saint Zenobius, Filippo Brunelleschi is the only person ever to have been granted the honour of burial in Santa Maria del Fiore.
Brunelleschi is also honoured by a small monument, which can be found in the right aisle of the cathedral. It takes the form of a medallion (1446) and is the work of the sculptor Andrea di Lazzaro Cavalcanti (1412-62), also known as il Buggiano, who was Brunelleschi's adopted son as well as his student and collaborator.
Each year, on April 15th, the anniversary of Brunelleschi’s death, the city of Florence pays homage to one of their most illustrious citizens.
Blogging about Florence: